Friday, January 18, 2013

Fun Little "Interview" About the WIP

What is the [working] title of your book in progress?

I am actually working on multiple at the moment, but the one I'm farthest along on--not counting a completed rough draft--is, The Skin Show.

Where did the idea for the book come from?

I have been fortunate enough to meet some amazing people, and author Heather Graham is one of them. She organizes a writer's conference every year in New Orleans and I've been blessed to attend three years in a row. My last visit there a group of us writer-folk were hanging out on a balcony drinking...soda...and watching the crazy people down below prance around in heavy rain and wind. Across the street was a Live Acts club. Basically a club where you go in and watch onstage frolicking. I got to talking with author Aleka Nakis about  the place, and we both wondered what kind of weird stuff went on in there. And then those two words that usually pop up in mind materialized once again: What if...?

 Which actors would you choose to play the characters from your book?

That's a really good question. Sometimes when I write I have a movie playing in my head, others aren't like that. With The Skin Show, I've been picturing people I know as some of the characters, but in Angel Board the character Lt. John Stiltson is without a doubt Tom Atkins. I described him down the salt-and-pepper mustache.

What is a one-sentence synopsis of your book?

An aspiring writer attending a writer's conference in New Orleans wanders into a club called The Skin Show, but instead of finding harmless adult fun on stage, he becomes entangled with a demonic soul-feasting race with an unquenchable appetite.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agent?

Represented. My current publisher, Samhain Publishing, are patiently awaiting the completed manuscript to be sent to them from my agent. And, I'm sure she's patiently waiting for me to send it to her.

How long did it take you to write the first-draft of your manuscript?

It hasn't taken me a very long time to write it, but it took over a year to actually start on it. There were others in line ahead of it. Now that I'm writing it, I'm glad I waited because it's new territory. Sometimes if I start to soon after an idea manifests in my head, I struggle really hard with the story. This one had time to grow, and I'm having fun working on it. I do pray it doesn't take as long as Oak Hollow did to complete.

What other books in your genre would you compare this story to?

My books have been compared a lot to Richard Laymon (which I love) and Ray Garton (which I equally love). But, if I had to compare this 'style' of book to anything it would be Clive Barker, and maybe even some Edward Lee thrown in. There is a lot of dark sexuality in this book, and Andy--the main character--questions the kind of person he really is when he's put in situations where he is allowed to do whatever he could possibly desire.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

That trip to New Orleans was the initial inspiration, and then the idea not wanting to leave got me to sit down and start writing it. I'm nervous for people to read this one because it's truly unlike anything I've written before, and it goes into some outrageous directions.

 What else might pique the reader’s interest in your book?

Other than the insane amount of saucy scenes, there's also a character in there called The Neon Demon. You'll just have to read to find out what that is.





No comments:

Post a Comment